Monday, September 2, 2013

Corvian.

I knew it was going to be SO tough leaving River Oaks Academy.  I had been there for most of my teaching career (minus half a year at Lincoln Heights), it was comfortable, and most importantly....I had made friendships with the staff, parents, and students.  I definitely struggled the last week of school...lots of tears and goodbyes.  However, I knew there was a purpose for me somewhere else and I was excited to start the journey!

This year, I began by 5th year of teaching at Corvian Community School.  Going in, I knew it was going to be a learning experience and a complete 180 from what I was use to.  I will say, I was nervous and a little concerned at first.  Being that they were going from 70 to 470 students, there was a lot of work to be done.  If it weren't for my assistant (I hate calling her that but she says "thats what I am"), I don't know what I would have done.  How did I teach kindergarten all these years without an assistant?!

Anyways, we got the room together in a little over a week and it was time for the kids to come.  I felt like a first year teacher again.  At Corvian they believe in the whole child.  Not just academics but social, emotional, and physical aspects too.  We can go outside as many times as needed, we don't have to spend hours upon hours writing lesson plans, we don't have to write objectives on the board, we don't have a "pulling cards" system, we aren't told when we have to teach math, and we can wear what we want.

We spend the first 6 weeks building community; the kids learn how to spell their classmates names, they learn different ways to greet their friends, they learn how to treat one another through a Promise that we write as a class and they build relationships with one another. No, we don't open a textbook and we don't give spelling words as homework.  Isn't that what life is all about, being smart?!  Nope.  It's about learning how to treat yourself and others.  Yes, the academics is so, very important but its not the Be All, End All.

Seems great....and yes it is, but just ALL new to me! So needless to say, I had (still have) a lot to get use to.  I know Corvian is a GREAT place.  I am so excited for this opportunity and am forever grateful that I was chosen to be apart of their staff.   Here are some reasons why I already know that this is an awesome place:

1.  I have been given praise on my work ethic (personal)
2.  The staff is shown on a daily basis that we are appreciated
3.  The administration are three of the easiest people to talk to.  They always say "whatever you need,
     we will get you".
4.  The parents are SO supportive, its un.believe.able
5.  It's not a place mandated by test scores; its a realistic place that encourages classroom community

I could go on and on about Corvian.  Corvian is the RIGHT way to do education and I can only hope that in time, all schools will follow this model.

Check it out:  http://www.corvian.org

No comments:

Post a Comment