Thursday, June 6, 2013

Change is difficult.

Ah man, its been a week.....a bittersweet week for sure.  Over the past few months I have had to contemplate, deliberate with my husband, and pray about one of the biggest 'BIG GIRL' decisions I feel like I have had to make in a long time, a new J.O.B.

Taking it back to graduating from ASU in December 2009, I landed my first job at Lincoln Heights Elementary in January.  I was the last hired so that basically meant DUH, I would be getting a "pink slip" at the end of the year....and I did.  So I learned about River Oaks Academy opening up on Mt. Holly Huntersville Rd.  Ah, how awesome would that be?!  At the time I had moved back in with my parents so it was no more than a 10 minute drive.  Then, when Erik and I got married, I was even closer.  Awesome!  I taught kindergarten my first year at ROA (2009-2010) and loved what I did.  I was then asked to help implement a Multi-Age program (grades K-2) with 2 AWESOME teachers who I consider great friends.  I have taught Multi-Age ever since.  Let me just say, it's A LOT of work but its rewarding too.  No teaching job is easy, despite what some may say or think.  If you are one of those people, I encourage you to visit a classroom just for one day :)

Anyways....as many of you hear on the news and in the paper....CMS can be a difficult place to work.  Its definitely not an impossible place to work, but its challenging and exhausting!  This year I had an opportunity to apply for a job that I felt would be a "breath of fresh air".  After several interviews and a dream job offer, I still had trouble making a decision....this has gone on for months.

I can't imagine leaving ROA.  This is my teaching family, students I had and seen for up to 4 years, tons of friends (not just colleagues) and an administration that has supported me through adjusting to the mutli-age program, my pregnancy with Gage, etc.  How could I leave what is comfortable, where I have made so many friends, where I have spent most of my career?  Well some of you might think I'm crazy for not hopin' on the first train outta CMS, but friends, it has not been peaches and cream.  I have had sleepless nights and tearful eyes over what God really wants me to do and what the "right" decision would be.

After several months of going back and forth, Erik supported my decision to take the offer.  Even after accepting the offer, I STILL contemplated my decision.  Well, UNTIL my new school had a weekend retreat recently.  At this point I had made a more definite decision but again, still had a "pit in my stomach" about leaving ROA.  Let me tell you, after this retreat, I knew why God opened this door.  I will be working with some AMAZING, genuine, warm-hearted teachers who want to make a difference.  I left the retreat on Saturday feeling excited about this new opportunity and encouraged that I will be working for a school that doesn't value test scores, but values who the kids will become when they walk through the doors.

Although I am beyond excited about what lies ahead, I have had a really hard time knowing that I will be leaving ROA.  I did have an opportunity to sit down with the administration at ROA and they were NOTHING but supportive.  I have also told many staff members/friends and they have equally been supportive.  We had an awards ceremony yesterday and I told a few parents.  They were all very understanding and so sweet about my decision too.

The hardest part lied ahead.....telling me kids.  As of this morning, I hadn't decided when I would tell them because I knew it would be VERY difficult (being that I have had some of them for 3 years).  Well....I had a former parent come in this morning and as soon as she saw me, she started crying.  And you know what happened next.  I was a wreck.  Then my kids were asking me what was wrong.  One of my sweet little girls said, "Mrs. Nordmark, you look tired.  Did Gage keep you up all night?" Haha.  So after that parent left, I decided that it was time to tell the kids.  I sat them all down and as soon as I started talking, I started crying.  After I explained I wasn't going to be back, the kids (mostly girls) were crying with me.  It was a sweet moment but heartbreaking at the same time.  I hate feeling like I am disappointing anyone...especially my kids.  I was O.K. (not great) the rest of the day until reading parents emails.  After dismissal I had a former colleague, whom I respect very much, come say some of the nicest things I have ever heard anyone say about me.  She made me feel like I was making the right decision and since I was crying, she said she knew I had made a difference at ROA.  I will never forget the things she said to me today.

I am going to miss my kids.  I am going to miss walking to my classroom that I have been in for 3 years.  I am going to miss walking through those blue door every morning.  I am going to miss my teacher friends whom I see 5 days a week from August-June.  I am going to miss what I've known to become a family.  Whew...this is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do but I know EVERYTHING.happens.for.a.reason (as cliche as it sounds).

So to my ROA family, you will truly be missed, and I mean that.  Thank you for making the first 4 years of my teaching career a memorable and unforgettable four years.

Love,

Ms. Looper/Mrs. Nordmark :)

Here are a few pictures.  I have some really cute notes that my kids wrote me today but I will post those tomorrow!









No comments:

Post a Comment