Monday, December 9, 2013

Cheers to growing hair....

I feel like I need to update many of you because I can feel the prayers :)  So as of today its been about 4 weeks since my last appointment to the dermatologist when he diagnosed me with alopecia areata.  I was supposed to go next Thursday but several of my spots have been inflammed, itchy, and red.  So they wanted me to come on in to get steriod shots.  Thankfully they were approved by my OB so off I went.  I got there and the doctor was concerned with the number of spots and how irritated they were (mainly the big one).  He said he still wanted to try the steriod shots because obviously the spray wasn't working.  Side note:  Erik had to spray my hair every morning and night.  It was really annoying because one, he had to basically spray my whole head because I now have spots every where and two, it made my hair really greasy.  When the doctor told me I didn't have to use the spray anymore, I was quite excited for both me and Erik!

Anyways....the doctor injected EVERY spot (sometimes more than once) in my scalp.  After about 30-40 injections he said the hair will grow really sssssllllooooowwww.....great.  The actual injections were with a needle but it honestly didn't hurt too bad.  He said I was tough :)  The bigger spot started stinging but thats because he had to inject it so many times.

I go back in 4 weeks.  If there is no sign of growth (he said there may not be because it will take a while) and still irritation, he wants to do a biopsy.  Yea, thats a little scary.

So, if you are praying, please pray that the injections work.  Please pray that there is no need for a biopsy, that can't be comfortable.  If none of that works, there is hope after the baby.  He said there is an oral medicine that is VERY effective (even with patients who have a more major case of alopecia) that I can take AFTER the baby.  But I am also hopeful that this is all due to hormones from being pregnant and I will be back to normal in May, we shall see!

The sweet ending to this story is.....I felt the baby kick for the first time today :)  That told me that all this hair loss is ALL.WORTH.IT.  Another side note:  it was a strong kick.....hmm....boy or girl?!

Thank you for your prayers, I can feel em' :)

WARNING:
I decided to be brave. If you have a weak stomach, DO NOT scroll down.  I'm hopeful that the injections will work and this is the only time you will see them!  They look extra gross because of all the injections (they normally just look like bald skin but they have some blood on them).  Sorry, I should have taken them before...oops.






This is the largest one and I promise it doesn't always look that disgusting.  I probably got 15 injections alone in this spot.  


To the left of my part.


The newest one....right at my hairline.


Right down my part.....getting difficult to hide these.


Thankfully.....I can hide the spots and I have this little one (and my husband) to show me that hair isn't all that important. I am COMPLETELY and utterly blessed.



Cheers to hair growth :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment